[Users] why ovirt does not support NAT network

woswas denni quasides at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 00:22:15 UTC 2013

> I think that in this regard, you can use my recently-posted "extnet"
> Vdsm hook. You should manually create a libvirt NATed network on each
> host and then add the "extnet" custom property to vNICs that you want to
> be connected to it.
>
> You may use another hook to automate the creation of that libvirt
> network. If you provide more details on how you manually configure your
> VPN, we may be able to help you write such a hook.

Thanks for your kind and quick answer.

Well i understand that you had to set priorities in development, however i
really belive the total number of servers could use similar setups are  way
bigger than setups having its own network infrastructure so i really
believe this feature would be really needed.

doing that manually is something i could live with (even i would really
live with at least for a while :)
so is there any documentation regarding the extnet hook? i was searching
google up and down but couldnt really find something

about my setup - its pretty straight forward. i do not use libvirt bridge
setup
instead i simply define on the hosts network/interfaces 3 interfaces

eth0
public IP/gateway etc
static

tun1
VPN interface to connect every phisical host to each other
static

br0
internal subnet for VMs
br0 has a different subnet on ever host like
host 1 - 10.10.51.1
host 2 . 10.10.52.1
and so on

i let all those br0 subnet route so i can easily conenct from host 1 - vm1
on
10.10.51.10 to another vm on host to like 10.10.52.10

every host is working then as a NAT and transparent firewall
so all IPs the host might have are bound to eth0 and i use ip tables for
the NAT rules (incomming, outgoing ,... )

all VMs using local storage on each host, iam using image file instead of
LVM to be a bit more flexible

so all i want is at least to be able to manually config that networking
thing (of course automating woudl be supergreat)

however when i tested ovirt ealier this year i wasnt able to even get it to
run in anyway so a bit more documentation or a hint would be great