[Users] Attaching an existing KVM installation to oVirt

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 14:14:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM, wrote:

> Hello - I'm new to the list and thought I would send my first email.  Is
> there a way to attach an existing KVM installation (Non Fedora - non node
> based installation of say, CentOS or Ubuntu) to oVirt?

Suppose your existing KVM installation server has connectivity with engine
(eg 10.4.4.59) and you have configured an export domain on engine with
sufficient available space, you can connect on your KVM server and run (for
example on CentOS 6.3):

# virt-v2v -o rhev -osd 10.4.4.59:/EXPORT --network ovirtmgmt c56cr
c56cr_001: 100%
[===================================================================================]D
0h02m17s
virt-v2v: c56cr configured with virtio drivers.

this will "port" your curren tVM network into the ovirtmgmt one on oVirt.
If you have more that one you can specify them in command line.

see man virt-v2v for options explanation

When export completes successfully, you can then go into web admin portal,
select the export domain and the VM imported will show up.
And you can import it, also customizing some parameter.
HIH,
Gianluca