[Users] Installing a lab setup from scratch using F18

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 21 18:11:40 UTC 2013

As promised on IRC (jvandewege) I'll post my findings of setting up an
ovirt lab environment from scratch using F18.
First some background:
- 2 hosts for testing storage cluster with replicated gluster data and
iso domains (HP ML110 G5)
- 2 hosts for VMs (HP DL360 G5?)
- 1 managment server (HP ML110 G5)
All physical servers have atleast 1Gb connection and they also have 2
10Gb ethernet ports connected to two Arista switches.
Complete setup (except for the managment srv) is redundant. Using
F18-x64 DVD and using minimal server with extra tools, after install the
ovirt.repo and the beta gluster repo is activated.
This serves as a proof of concept for a bigger setup.

Problems sofar:
- looks like F18 uses a different path to access video since using the
defaults leads to garbled video, need to use nomodeset as a kernel option
- upgrading the minimal install (yum upgrade) gives me kernel-3.7.2-204
and the boot process halts with soft locks on different cpus, reverting
to 3.6.10-4.fc18.x86_64 fixes that. Managment is using 3.7.2 kernel
without problems BUT it doesn't use libvirt/qemu-kvm/vdsm, my guess its
related.
- need to disable NetworkManager and enable network (and ifcfg-xxx) to
get network going
- adding the storage hosts from de webui works but after reboot vdsm is
not starting, reason seems to be that network isn't initialised until
after all interfaces are done with their dhcp requests. There are 4
interfaces which use dhcp, setting those to bootprotocol=none seems the
help.
- during deploy their is a warning about 'cannot set tuned profile',
seems harmless but hadn't seen that one until now.
- the deployment script discovers during deployment that the ID of the
second storage server is identical to the first one and abort the
deployment (Blame HP!) shouldn't it generate a unique one using uuidgen??

Things that are OK sofar:
- ovirt-engine setup (no problems with postgresql)
- creating/activating gluster volumes (no more deadlocks)

Adding virt hosts has to wait til tomorrow, got problems getting the dvd
iso onto an usb stick, will probably burn a DVD to keep going.

Joop