[Users] Help on an almost migrated ovirt-engine

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 08:40:29 UTC 2013

On 01/22/2013 02:48 AM, Adrian Gibanel wrote:
> I need to migrate an ovirt-engine from an All-In-One (AIO) setup to a dedicated machine.
>
> So with an old mailing message I've tried to do it but not finished yet, that's why I ask for help.
>
> I've written a wiki page for the experience so that it becomes a howto which can be found here:
>
>    http://www.ovirt.org/User:Adrian15/oVirt_engine_migration
>
> At the last step the one that finally starts ovirt-engine I've decided to ask help here just in case I was missing something important.
>
> So here are my doubts.
>
> * Original message that inspired the howto is here: http://www.mail-archive.com/users@ovirt.org/msg00670.html
> * What packages should I delete safely from an AIO setup so that it's just an hypervisor once I've migrate the ovirt-engine part?

All the ovirt-engine-* packages can be safely deleted, they are not used
by hypervisors.

There are a lot of other packages that can be removed that are
dependencies of ovirt-engine, like httpd, jboss-as and
java-1.7.0-openjdk, and many of the dependencies that they bring, so a
good way to start that cleanup is this:

   yum remove 'ovirt-engine-*' 'httpd' 'java-1.7.0-openjdk' 'jboss-as'

That will remove more than 300 packages, as it will transitively include
all the Java packages. If you want to do further cleanups you can take a
look at the "package-cleanup" tool, but be careful or you may end up
with an useless system.

> * Is the right way the one I've used to recreate the database?
>    ** Origin
>    pg_dump -U postgres engine | gzip > engine_db.gz
>    ** Destination
>    pg_dump -U postgres -s -f tempdb.dump engine
>    dropdb -U postgres engine
>    createdb -U postgres engine
>    zcat engine_db.gz | psql -U postgres engine

The default installation of ovirt-engine creates the "engine" database
owned by the "engine" user, but you are creating it owned by "postgres"
instead. I think this won't break anything, but if you want to create it
exactly the same you can use the -O option of createdb:

   createdb -U postgres -O engine engine

> * Let's read: http://www.mail-archive.com/users@ovirt.org/msg00682.html : WRT certificates, note that hostname should nt change, or SSL will be invalidated.
>     Did he mean the SSL when you connect via http or https to the manager which currently doesn't bother me?
>     Or maybe the SSL to connect to other hosts and communicate to vdsm (sorry if I'm saying something nonsense. I don't understand oVirt architecture completely) which bothers me?
> * Certificates is: /etc/pki/ovirt-engine ? Something more?

There is some information on how to change certificates here:

http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2012-October/004167.html

It is not trivial, so better if you don't change the host name.

> * Conf is: /etc/ovirt-engine ? Something more?

Yes, /etc/sysconfig/ovirt-engine, but you should be able to use the one
generated during your new installation. The only difference will be the
database password.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain