[Users] Community feedback on the new UI-plugin Framework

Oved Ourfalli ovedo at redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 01:41:40 UTC 2013

Hey all,

We had an oVirt workshop this week, which included a few sessions about the new oVirt UI Plugin framework, including a Hackaton and a BOF session.

I've gathered some feedback we got from the different participants about the framework, and what they would like to see in the future of it.

1. People liked the fact that it is a simple framework, allowing you to do nice extensions rapidly,  without the need to know complex technologies (simple javascript knowledge is all you need to know).

2. People want the framework to provide tools for adding UI components (main/sub tabs, dialogs, etc.) that aren't URL based, but are based on components we currently have in oVirt, such as grids, key-value pairs (such as the general sub-tab), action buttons in these custom tabs and etc.

The main reason for that is to easily develop a plugin with an oVirt-like look-and-feel. Chris Morrissey from Netapp showed a very nice plugin he wrote that did have an oVirt-like look-and-feel, but it wasn't easy.... and it required him to to develop something specific for the plugin to interact with, in the 3rd party application (something similar to the work we did in the oVirt-Foreman UI-plugin).

3. Support adding tasks to the system - plugins may trigger asynchronous tasks behind the scene, both oVirt and external ones. oVirt tasks and their progress will be reflected in the tasks management view, but if the flows contain external tasks as well, then it would be hard to track through the oVirt UI.

4. Plugin management
* The ability to see what plugins are installed... install new plugins and remove existing ones.
* Change the plugin configuration through webadmin
* Distinguish between public plugin configuration entries (entries the user to change), to private ones (entries it can't).

I guess that this point will be relevant for engine-plugins as well (once support for such plugins will be available) so we should consider providing a similar solution for both. Also, Chris pointed out that it should be taken into consideration as well when working on supporting HA-oVirt-engine, as plugins are vital part of the oVirt environment.

If you find the feedback above true, or you have other comments that weren't mentioned here, please share it with us!

Thank you,
Oved

P.S:
I guess the slides will be uploaded sometime next week (I guess someone would have asked it soon... so now you have your answer :-) )