[Users] Putting the host in maintenance mode via python SDK

Deepthi Dharwar deepthi at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 2 04:38:16 UTC 2013

On 07/01/2013 06:08 PM, Michael Pasternak wrote:
> On 07/01/2013 02:37 PM, Vladimir Vyazmin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is any a via pythonSDK to put the host in maintenance mode:
>>
>> hostObject = API.hosts.get(fakeHostNames)
>>
>> turboMaintenanceHost(hostObject)
>>
>> ##### Turbo Maintenance Host #####
>> def turboMaintenanceHost(vmObject):
>>     """ maintenance Host"""
>>     if vmObject.status.state == 'up':
>>         vmObject.deactivate()
>>         LOGGER.info(TimestampScale() + "Object '%s' maintenance." % vmObject.name)
>>     else:
>>         LOGGER.warning(TimestampScale() + "Failed maintenance '%s' Object." % vmObject.name)
>>     return True

Thanks for this piece of code. Shall give it a try.

So as I understand, issuing a STOP just halts the host but not migrate
VMs . This needs to be done by putting the host in the maintenance mode
where all the VMs running are migrated. Host is disconnected from the
storage pool after which one can shut-down the system.

Maintenance is per-requisite mode where u explicitly tell the engine
to migrate the VMs and disconnect host from storage and not done as part
of integral shutdown process.