[Users] Migration of VMs from 2 different ovirt-managers

Alfred Angelov alfred at space2u.com
Thu Jun 6 09:01:00 UTC 2013

Hey there,

I would like to start off by saying hi, as this is my first post on the
mailing list :-)

Here is a little background on my setup:

I currently have 2 ovirt setups:

1. ovirt-vps is ovirt 3.1 with 3 Hosts and 41 VMs (distributed on those
3 Hosts) -- oVirt Engine Version: 3.1.0-2.fc17
2. ovirt-hosting is ovirt 3.2.0 with 4 Hosts and 12 VMs (distributed on
those 4 Hosts) -- oVirt Engine Version: 3.2.0-4.fc18

As I understand ovirt is structured as follows:

Data Center -> Cluster -> Hosts -> VMs

My goal would be to just have one ovirt setup, with two clusters - so to
speak I would like to create a new cluster under ovirt-hosting, lets
call it vps. And migrate all the hosts from the ovirt-vps setup to that
cluster. Now I have done some reading where there was talk of
cold-importing VMs (aka. stop the VM on a node, export it, then import
on the new node); but that would require that I: a) create a new node
and b) have to turn off the VMs.

Is there any way to import the hosts altogether into the new cluster,
and thus not touching the VMs. Would I require to upgrade ovirt-vps to
3.2 (also upgrading all Hosts to 3.2) before doing any migration?

40 VMs on the ovirt-vps setup use using the same physical network as the
VMs in ovirt-hosting; but I suppose if I create the same network (for
the last VM) they would have "identical" network setups.

--

Mvh
Alfred Angelov