[Users] New UI plugin: UI-VDSM-Hooks

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon Jun 10 09:56:56 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 12:40:39PM -0400, Daniel Erez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a new UI plugin that allows invocation of VDSM commands
> directly from the WebAdmin (using CGI scripts and vdsClient).
>
> You can read all about it in my blog: http://derezvir.blogspot.co.il/

Oh, cool!

Two comments though: it would be safer to do

    from vdsm import vdscli

and use the vdscli module directly. vdsClient has many flaws and
limitations (e.g. it's impossible to start a new vm with the "devices"
API, only with the old nicModel/bridge/macAddr way).

It should not be difficult to make your UI plugin work with ssl=True,
too. All that should be done is to fix vdscli.connect() to look for its
key/certs in the proper place. Currently, and ancient codepiece there,
assumes that the Engine run on Windows (/me shudders).

Regards,
Dan.