[Users] Adding a bond.vlantag to ovirt-node

Rob Zwissler rob at zwissler.org
Wed Mar 6 17:14:00 UTC 2013

Hi Alex, I'm using a very similar setup on our clusters, a few caveats
I encountered -

For oVirt to manage the networks, it would not allow me to run
ovirtmgmt on the same interface as the data networks, so I'm running
two bonds, one for ovirtmgmt and one for the data VLANs.  It makes
sense that oVirt would not allow ovirtmgmt on the trunked bond, as
oVirt needs the ability to communicate with vdsm while modifying the
trunked bond setup.  I have tried splitting off a third bond for a
dedicated storage network with Gluster but that has lead to issues of
it's own, perhaps this will work in a future version of oVirt.

With oVirt 3.1 it would not allow me to save a VLAN interface without
an IP, but it appears that with oVirt 3.2 I can, which is good, as I
want to offer a VLAN to my VMs which is on the same network as the
ovirtmgmt interface, and the oVirt 3.1 requirement of having an IP on
every bridge forces the situation of having two different interfaces
on the same subnets with IPs, without using source policy routing (or
some iptables work), whichever IP has lower entries in the routing
table becomes essentially unusable.

FWIW I'm building machines out of kickstart/cobbler with the bonded
bridged setups, and they import and are recognized directly by oVirt,
which is very convenient.  I use LACP for the trunked bonds, and use
vlanXXX as the naming convention for the bridges.  I'm using
balance-tlb (mode 5) for the ovirtmgmt bond for other reasons LACP is
not viable on that bond in our setup.  I previously tried balance-alb
(mode 6) but that is not usable for VMs, which is another issue
altogether (fixed in kernel 3.8 apparently).

regards

Rob