[Users] How to make oVirt I/O write faster than Virtualbox and others?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 07:08:55 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

> [...]
> kvm64,+lahf_lm,+ssse3,-cx16 -M pc-01.4)
> ---------
> real    0m8.720s
> user    0m0.100s
> sys     0m0.080s
>
> Test F - Proxmox (ubuntu,  linux-virtual, aio=threads y: -cpu
> kvm64,+lahf_lm,+ssse3,-cx16 -M pc-01.4 -rtc
> base=2013-02-22T02:26:29,driftfix=slew)
> --------
>
> real    0m8.790s
> user    0m0.096s
> sys     0m0.084s
>
> Test G - Virtualbox
> ------
> with the extension pack installed. Notice that neither I installed
> the guest additions tools in the guest machine nor the
> linux-image-virtual kernel.
>
> real    0m36.176s
> user    0m0.612s
> sys     0m0.468s
>
> Test H - Fedora 17 64bit - oVirt 3.1
> -------
> Host. Web manager is installed in another machine. SELinux is in
> Permissive mode. Virtual machine is run at the same virtual machine
> where storage is. The datacenter is setup as "Localhost on host"
> type. Linux-image-virtual kernel installed inside the guest machine.
>
> real    0m52.246s
> user    0m0.200s
> sys     0m0.128s
>
> Test I - Fedora - oVirt 3.1 - vdsmd stopped.
> -------
> Host. Web manager is installed in another machine. SELinux is in
> Permissive mode. Virtual machine is run at the same virtual machine
> where storage is. The datacenter is setup as "Localhost on host"
> type. Linux-image-virtual kernel installed inside the guest machine.
> vdsmd daemon was stopped at the host was stopped just in case it was
> the I/O decrease reason.
>
> real    0m45.932s
> user    0m0.216s
> sys     0m0.100s
>
> Some bits about the test:
>
> * If you're asking, yes, I've repeated the test several times and the
> times I give here are representative.
> The password was inserted manually when running mysql commands but
> that's only 1 to 2 seconds less which doesn't explain the huge
> differences between the tests.
> * I also tried Fedora 64bit and Centos 64bit as guest systems and the
> results were worse.
> * I also tried other less powerful machines which work ok with
> Virtualbox but have poor I/O write results with oVirt.
> * The B-F Proxmox tests were trying to reproduce the oVirt parametres
> which might be wrong but nothing triggered the 52 secs of Fedora
> test so they were kind of useless.
> * At H and I tests (the Fedora ones) if you check top command when
> the test is being run you get often from 80% to 90% wa(iting).
>
> Some random questions:
>
> * Is it a problem that sandbridge architecture is being detected as
> an Intel Conroe architecture?
> * Is there any easy way to test aio=native in oVirt when running

Our testing showed that aio=threads works better for file-based storage (vs. aio=native for block storage).

> * Should I test oVirt 3.2? Is there any improvement in I/O writing?

Probably not, but you should try with oVirt 3.2 nevertheless, for the wealth of other features that might be useful now or later (direct LUN for example).

> * What about Fedora 18? Any improvements in I/O writing or, I don't
> know, the Virtio system?

Probably a newer QEMU and KVM can provide better performance. Did not go through the complete changelog to verify it.

> * Any ovirt-node package for Debian/Ubuntu? The wiki seems like a
> draft (http://www.ovirt.org/Ovirt_build_on_debian/ubuntu).
> * Any I/O write consuming package that I should remove from stock
> Fedora just before installing it from the web manager?
>
> So... Any idea?

I'd start with comparing the complete QEMU command line between the instances. I don't think it's only the -cpu that'll affect the performance (unless the test is CPU bound?). Specifically, what about the cache= setting? We use, for data safety, cache=none.

Y.