[Users] Trouble building Ovirt from source - "No rule to make target `install_tools'. Stop."

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Fri Mar 8 17:44:27 UTC 2013

On 03/08/2013 06:38 PM, Yuval M wrote:
> Thanks, now "./engine-service start" succeeded.
> /[root at bufferoverflow bin]# ./engine-service start/
> /Starting engine-service:                                    [  OK  ]/
>
> However, when I try to access "http://localhost:8700" I get an empty
> page (0 bytes).
>
> I see the following errors in
> /home/wil/ovirt-engine/installation/var/log/ovirt-engine/server.log
>
> JBAS014777:   Services which failed to start:      service
> jboss.deployment.subunit."engine.ear"."engine-bll.jar".component.UsersDomainsCacheManagerService.START:
> org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service
> jboss.deployment.subunit."engine.ear"."engine-bll.jar".component.UsersDomainsCacheManagerService.START:
> Failed to start service
>
> 2013-03-08 19:27:51,495 ERROR [org.jboss.as.server.deployment.scanner]
> (DeploymentScanner-threads - 1) {"JBAS014653: Composite operation failed
> and was rolled back. Steps that failed:" => {"Operation step-2" =>
> {"JBAS014671: Failed services" =>
> {"jboss.deployment.subunit.\"engine.ear\".\"engine-bll.jar\".component.UsersDomainsCacheManagerService.START"
> => "org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service
> jboss.deployment.subunit.\"engine.ear\".\"engine-bll.jar\".component.UsersDomainsCacheManagerService.START:
> Failed to start service"}}}}
>
> Here is the contents of my configuration file:
>
> [root at bufferoverflow installation]# cat etc/sysconfig/ovirt-engine
> #
> # For descriptions of the parameters and their default values look
> # at the /usr/share/ovirt-engine/conf/engine.conf.defaults file.
> #
> # Please note that the engine installation tool engine-setup will
> # append the modified parameters to the end of this file.
> #
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.7.0-openjdk.x86_64
> JBOSS_HOME=/home/wil/ovirt-engine/jboss-as-7.1.1.Final
> ENGINE_USER=wil
> ENGINE_GROUP=wil
> ENGINE_PROXY_ENABLED=false
> ENGINE_HTTP_ENABLED=true
> ENGINE_HTTP_PORT=8700
> ENGINE_HTTPS_ENABLED=false
> ENGINE_AJP_ENABLED=false
> ENGINE_DB_USER=postgres
> ENGINE_DB_PASSWORD=
> ENGINE_DEBUG_ADDRESS=0.0.0.0:8787 <http://0.0.0.0:8787>
>
> Thank you very much for your help

Can you share the server.log and engine.log files? If possible stop the
engine, clean the files, start again and then collect and provide the files.

Not sure, but I guess that you are having some problem with the
database, so please check the following:

1. Try to connect to the database manually:

   psql -U postgres engine
   engine# select count(*) from vdc_options;

2. Make sure that the JDBC driver is in the right place and that it
points to the right file if it is a symbolic link:

   find home/wil/ovirt-engine/installation -name postgresql.jar

> [...]
>         detailed in
>         the wiki.
>         after configuring it I try to start the engine and get:
>
>         [wil at bufferoverflow bin]$ pwd
>         /home/wil/ovirt-engine/__installation/bin
>         [wil at bufferoverflow bin]$ ./engine-service start
>         Traceback (most recent call last):
>             File "./engine-service", line 23, in <module>
>               import configobj
>         ImportError: No module named configobj
>         [wil at bufferoverflow bin]$
>

>     Ok, this is because the service script needs the python-configobj
>     and python-cheetah packages:
>
>        yum install python-configobj python-cheetah
>

>         On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Juan Hernandez
>         <jhernand at redhat.com <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com>
>         <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com>>> wrote:
>
>              On 03/08/2013 03:51 PM, Juan Hernandez wrote:
>
>                  On 03/08/2013 03:49 PM, Yuval M wrote:
>
>                      OK,
>                      brand new machine,
>                      Fedora 18 (x64),
>                      Trying to install Ovirt 3.2 from sources according to:
>         http://www.ovirt.org/Building_______Engine_Draft
>         <http://www.ovirt.org/Building_____Engine_Draft>
>                      <http://www.ovirt.org/__Building___Engine_Draft
>         <http://www.ovirt.org/Building___Engine_Draft>>
>                      <http://www.ovirt.org/____Building_Engine_Draft
>         <http://www.ovirt.org/__Building_Engine_Draft>
>
>                      <http://www.ovirt.org/__Building_Engine_Draft
>         <http://www.ovirt.org/Building_Engine_Draft>>>
>
>                      Everything is good up to the following stage:
>                      "Now you need to do some adjustments to the
>         configuration file
>
>         $HOME/ovirt-engine/____installation/etc/sysconfig/____ovirt-engine"
>

>                      The "sysconfig" directory does not exist. so does the
>                      "ovirt-engine"
>                      configuration file (searched through the
>         $HOME/ovirt-engine
>                      tree).
>                      I didn't find any code in the Makefile
>                      ($HOME/ovirt-engine/____repository/Makefile) that
>         would create
>
>                      them,
>                      What am I missing?
>

>                  This has changed recently and I didn't update that wiki
>         page. The
>                  /etc/sysconig/ovirt-engine file has been replaced by
>                  /etc/ovirt-engine/engine.conf.
>

>              But wait, this change was made in the master branch, not in
>         3.2, so
>              it shouldn't be a problem. Are you sure you are using the
>         engine_3.2
>              branch?
>

>                      Thanks,
>
>                      Yuval
>
>                      On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Juan Hernandez
>                      <jhernand at redhat.com <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com>
>         <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com>>
>                      <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com
>         <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com> <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com
>         <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com>>>>
>
>                      wrote:
>
>                            On 02/26/2013 02:19 PM, Doron Fediuck wrote:

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain