[Users] 6.4 CR: oVirt 3.1 breaks with missing cpu features after update to CentOS 6.4 (6.3 + CR)

Patrick Hurrelmann patrick.hurrelmann at lobster.de
Mon Mar 11 09:39:46 UTC 2013

>> Alright, just verified it. A vm started on a 6.3 host can be
>> successfully migrated to the new 6.4 host and then back to any other 6.3
>> host. It just won't migrate a vm started on 6.4 to any host running 6.3.
>
> This surprises me. Engine should have used the same emulatedMachine
> value, independent of the initial host. Could you share the vdsm.log
> lines mentionioning "emulatedMachine" in both cases?
>
> Dan.

Hi Dan,

sorry for coming back this late. I checked it and the default
emulatedMachine is pc. And machine pc differs in the definition between
6.3 and 6.4.

virsh 6.3:
  <guest>
    <os_type>hvm</os_type>
    <arch name='x86_64'>
      <wordsize>64</wordsize>
      <emulator>/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm</emulator>
      <machine>rhel6.3.0</machine>
      <machine canonical='rhel6.3.0'>pc</machine>
      <machine>rhel6.2.0</machine>
      <machine>rhel6.1.0</machine>
      <machine>rhel6.0.0</machine>
      <machine>rhel5.5.0</machine>
      <machine>rhel5.4.4</machine>
      <machine>rhel5.4.0</machine>
      <domain type='qemu'>
      </domain>
      <domain type='kvm'>
        <emulator>/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm</emulator>
      </domain>
    </arch>
    <features>
      <cpuselection/>
      <deviceboot/>
      <acpi default='on' toggle='yes'/>
      <apic default='on' toggle='no'/>
    </features>
  </guest>

virsh 6.4:
  <guest>
    <os_type>hvm</os_type>
    <arch name='x86_64'>
      <wordsize>64</wordsize>
      <emulator>/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm</emulator>
      <machine>rhel6.4.0</machine>
      <machine canonical='rhel6.4.0'>pc</machine>
      <machine>rhel6.3.0</machine>
      <machine>rhel6.2.0</machine>
      <machine>rhel6.1.0</machine>
      <machine>rhel6.0.0</machine>
      <machine>rhel5.5.0</machine>
      <machine>rhel5.4.4</machine>
      <machine>rhel5.4.0</machine>
      <domain type='qemu'>
      </domain>
      <domain type='kvm'>
        <emulator>/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm</emulator>
      </domain>
    </arch>
    <features>
      <cpuselection/>
      <deviceboot/>
      <acpi default='on' toggle='yes'/>
      <apic default='on' toggle='no'/>
    </features>
  </guest>

Regards
Patrick

--
Lobster LOGsuite GmbH, Münchner Straße 15a, D-82319 Starnberg

HRB 178831, Amtsgericht München
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Martin Fischer, Rolf Henrich