[Users] High Availability

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Mar 18 03:31:12 UTC 2013

Tim,

Thanks for your information.  I am not sure why we need power management
to be configured for the hosts running HA virtual machines.  If one host
is down because of network interrupt or power failure, the engine should
know how many HA VMs are down and find out the VM images on the storage
domain to start the VM instances on another host in the cluster.  Why do
we need power manager to be configured?  We only need a method to check
the VM or host status and a method to restart the VM instances with
existing VM images on another host.  Is it required to force powering
down the failing host forever to make sure the failing host will not
come back to live again?

  *
    Power management must be configured for the hosts running the highly
    available virtual machines.
  *
    The host running the highly available virtual machine must be part
    of a cluster which has other available hosts.
  *
    The destination host must be running.
  *
    The source and destination host must have access to the data domain
    on which the virtual machine resides.
  *
    The source and destination host must have access to the same virtual
    networks and VLANs.
  *
    There must be enough CPUs on the destination host that are not in
    use to support the virtual machine's requirements.
  *
    There must be enough RAM on the destination host that is not in use
    to support the virtual machine's requirements.

Tim Hildred:
> You might also find this helpful:
> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.1/html/Administration_Guide/High_availability_considerations.html
>
> The topics before and after it explain a bit more about high availability.
>
> Tim Hildred, RHCE
> Content Author II - Engineering Content Services, Red Hat, Inc.
> Brisbane, Australia
> Email: thildred at redhat.com
> Internal: 8588287
> Mobile: +61 4 666 25242
> IRC: thildred

---
舒明 Shu Ming
Open Virtualization Engineerning; CSTL, IBM Corp.
Tel: 86-10-82451626  Tieline: 9051626 E-mail: shuming at cn.ibm.com or shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian District, Beijing 100193, PRC