[Users] Failed to Start VM (Run Once) due to internal spice channel error

Tom Rogers trogers1884 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 20:22:52 UTC 2013

When trying to run a first time (Run Once) VM install, the vm session fails
to start. When we look into the libvirtd.log on the host, we find the
following error:

virDomainGraphicsDefParseXML:6566 : internal error unknown spice channel
name ain

in the lines right above message, contained in the xmlDESC we find the
following snippet:

                <channel type="spicevmc">
                        <target name="com.redhat.spice.0" type="virtio"/>
                </channel>
                <graphics autoport="yes" keymap="en-us" listen="0"
passwd="*****" passwdValidTo="1970-01-01T00:00:01" port="-1" tlsPort="-1"
type="spice">
                        <channel mode="secure" name="ain"/>
                        <channel mode="secure" name="nputs"/>
                        <channel mode="secure" name="ursor"/>
                        <channel mode="secure" name="layback"/>
                        <channel mode="secure" name="ecord"/>
                        <channel mode="secure" name="isplay"/>
                        <channel mode="secure" name="sbredir"/>
                        <channel mode="secure" name="martcard"/>
                </graphics>

It looks to us that the xml may be malformed due to the seemingly first
character missing in the channel names.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

On master:
Ovirt-engine   3.3.0-0.2.master.20130313215708

On node:
qemu-kvm 1.2.2-7.fc18
vdsm-xmlrpc 4.10.3-10.fc18
libvirt-daemon 0.10.2.3-1.fc18