[Users] ovirt shows vm status as down, but vm is actually up and running

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Thu May 2 19:40:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 11:26:41PM +0530, Pradipta Kumar Banerjee wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a situation where VM is actually up and running (I can access its VNC
> console), however oVirt engine ui shows the status as down.
> I'm using ovirt engine v3.2 from stable repo on F18
> Any suggestions to trouble shoot the issue ?

That's like the worse thing that can happen - if you ever make decide to
start another instance of that VM on another host - so please tread
carefully.

Does the host that run the VM shows as Up in Engine?
What does
    vdsClient -s 0 list table
shows there?

and
    virsh -r list
?

When is the last time that the VM was known to be up by Engine? Do you
have vdsm.log from that time?

It is very important to the project that you collect as much information
about the lifecycle of this VM (i.e. was it migrated from somewhere,
complete vdsm.log since creation). However, you may have a conflicting
interest if you value that VM's data. You should probably shut it down
cleanly from within the guest in that case.

Dan.