[Users] Engine-config -s small problem

noc noc at nieuwland.nl
Fri May 17 11:57:32 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Don't know if this is documented somewhere but I ran into an interesting
problem yesterday. First we had intermittent problems with ssh
connecting to VMs which we traced to having two oVirt installation being
active in one subnet. Found the post from January where it is explained
how engine allocates its mac address pool and how to set it with
engine-config -s MacPoolRanges. Today I remembered that I had done that
when I was about to start a VM and removed the nic from the VM and added
it back. To my surprise it got the same macaddress as it had (from the
old range). On a hunch I restarted ovirt-engine and redid the remove/add
operation and now it got a new mac address from the range specified.
Shouldn't the engine be aware that the config is changed if you use
engine-config and reload its cached values from the database?
I expected this but it seems not to be the case, bug or by design.

Joop

--
irc: jvandewege