[Users] Obtain VM name from within VM?

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sat May 25 08:01:54 UTC 2013

On 05/25/2013 02:07 AM, Jonathan Daugherty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested to know whether it is possible to obtain a VM's name from
> within a VM.  In particular I'd like to obtain VM names from within
> Linux guests for the purpose of setting up dynamic DNS based on the VM
> name.  I don't see the VM name in the output of dmidecode and there
> doesn't appear to be an entry in the ovirt guest API to obtain it.  (In
> any case I can't run the ovirt guest agent on my VMs, so I'd like some
> other way to get it.)
>
> Thanks!

greg is working on cloud-init support[1] which should take care of both
passing this info to linux guests (and maybe solve the ddns issue as
well while at it - greg?)

in the meantime, you could try and do this manually by passing it via
the vm payload field, which is mounted to the guest as a block device.

[1]
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/status:open+project:ovirt-engine+branch:master+topic:cloud-init,n,z