[Users] virt-v2v convert failed

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Mon Nov 4 13:24:58 UTC 2013

> Hello,
>
> I tried to convert kvm(libvirt) guest to oVirt 3.3 on computer
> running
> fedora 19 and it fails. I was converting 450GB VM with windows 2008.
>
> Output is:
>
> Caching w2k8t.qcow2: 100%
> [===============================================]D19h52m18s
> Error in mkstemp using /tmp/XXXXXXXXXX: Could not create temp file
> /tmp/lLmnkh9ktk: Operation not permited at
> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Sys/VirtConvert/ExecHelper.pm line 74.
>
> Command was:
> virt-v2v -i libvirt -ic qemu+ssh://root@server.example.org/system -o
> rhev -os 10.20.30.40:/export -of qcow2 -oa sparse -n ovirtmgmt w2k8t
> My /tmp (where it caches) was big enough, because I connected 1TB
> external drive as /tmp

mkstemp is part of the core perl library, and if it reports that it
can't write to /tmp then it's almost certainly correct. Are you sure you
made /tmp world writeable when when you mounted your external drive?

> I used virt-v2v-0.9.0-3.fc19.i686.
> Same problem was with Linux server. It fails with same problem.
>

> And the second question is, how to convert that big VM faster? Is it
> possible to connect to libvirt daemon without ssh? Or even convert
> VM
> offline on virt-v2v capable pc (fedora, centos, rhel)?

You could run virt-v2v on your libvirt/kvm host. That way it wouldn't
have to copy it over the network. It also wouldn't have to use any space
in /tmp.

Matt