[Users] Problem in 3.3 with shmmax configuration

Bob Doolittle bobddroid at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 16:17:37 UTC 2013

On 11/04/2013 05:43 AM, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
> Il 02/11/2013 17:51, Bob Doolittle ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm setting up Engine for the 2nd time - the first time I answered a configuration question wrong. So I did:
>>
>> engine-setup
>> engine-cleanup
>> engine-setup
>>
>> Things worked, until I rebooted the system. I found that postgresql would not startup, and was failing with "could not create shared memory segment:
>> Invalid Argument".
>>
>> I resolved this issue by creating a file /etc/sysctl.d/10-shmmax.conf, containing the line:
>> kernel.shmmax = 1000000000
>>
>> (I read somewhere that postgresql recommends setting shmmax to 1/4 of physical memory, and I have 4GB)
>>
>> 1. Is this a known bug? If not, should I file one? If so, how do I do that? :)
> Which version are you installing?

3.3, on Fedora 19.

> Can you please attach all 3 logs from above sequence (setup, cleanup, setup)?
> I think something may have gone wrong on second setup execution while setting shmmax.

Unfortunately I no longer have those logs.

*However* last night I powered down my node and engine. Last night
engine would at least come up.

Now when I boot up my engine I get the same error. So my guess is that
the shmmax setting isn't being configured in a persistent fashion
somehow, or is somehow reverting.

My most recent setup log is here (I hate to send large logs to lists):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35965416/ovirt-engine-setup-20131103141618.log

-Bob