[Users] Proposal for a fresh look and feel for Ovirt

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 11:05:44 UTC 2013

Hi Malini,

Malini Rao píše v St 06. 11. 2013 v 16:53 -0500:
> Hey David,
>
> Your questions are valid and reasonable and we should have good
> answers for these. However, what I shared with you guys for now is a
> pure skinning update to give a airier and more modern look. The
> skinning has been updated to match exactly with what exists today...
> so the labels are not going to be wider, rows are not taller etc.
> Therefore any problems that exist today will exist in the new design
> as well.

OK, I'm fine with that. I have also already commented on this in my
first reply.

> The minimalist skinning and design strategy will generally improve the
> visual clutter issues to a certain extent. But this is not to say this
> is the sum total of the purpose of this exercise. This skinning update
> proposal is a starting point to then begin thinking of examining other
> aspects that have a deeper usability/ user experience impact including
> responsive design etc.

My wish wrt width is something much more humble than responsive design.
I just wish that the design doesn't break (items don't hide or reorder)
when something goes wrong. Current design preserves look at the expense
of functionality in such cases which is IMO wrong. The ideal is
responsive design - to maintain functionality while adjusting look to
the device - but when that ideal is not feasible (which is not currently
without the overhaul you mention below), it's better to maintain
functionality... Maybe the attached screenshot tells more than my text
above.

> We should also look across the application and check for consistency
> in interaction patterns - so things just don't look consistent but
> behave consistently as well.
>
> So, if we want to start generating a laundry list of UI overhaul
> items, that will be great.

Please do remember these once you start planning such bigger rework.

> But again, the scope of this initial exercise is very limited. This
> skinning exercise too will likely roll out in phases and we may start
> with the bigger and more static elements first and then move into the
> details.
>
> I know I didn't answer your specific questions but only because they
> are not impacted by this design any more than the current design. Hope
> this makes sense.

Sure and thanks for reply.
Cheers,

David