[Users] Removing orphaned hosts

Rob Abshear rabshear at citytwist.net
Fri Nov 8 14:41:53 UTC 2013

I have an oVirt installation with two datacenters.  One datacenter
called "Dev" has three nodes that are just PCs and live in a datacenter
called "Development". The other is a production cluster called "DMZ"
with two Dell servers and it lives in a data center called
"Production".  I had to bring all our servers down for some electrical
maintanance in the building, so I brought down all running VMs
gracefully and brought down all hosts gracefully.  When I brought the
servers back up, the Dev cluster came up fine, but the DMZ cluster's
hosts would never go green.  I could put them in maintenance mode and
reinstall them, but they would still not come "UP".  I worked with this
for hours with no change in my situation. Finally, I made the decision
to remove the datacenter and rebuild it.  I force removed the Production
data center.

Now here is my situation.  I have two nodes in a cluster called DMZ that
are not in any datacenter.  I can put them in maintenance mode and
reinstall them, but they never come up afterward.  I can't remove either
one because" Error while executing action: Cannot remove Host. Related
operation is currently in progress. Please try again later."  I just
don't know how to get back from this.  All the VMs from this datacenter
are sitting on a NAS.  I tried to create another data center and import
the data domain, but I realize this isn't supported, so that is one
issue.  When I try to just remove the DMZ cluster, it won't let me
because "Error while executing action: Cannot remove default Host Cluster."

--

*NADA Convention & Expo*:  January 24-27, 2014 - New Orleans, LA - Booth
5001