[Users] Installing Windows VMs

Bob Doolittle bob at doolittle.us.com
Fri Nov 8 19:46:05 UTC 2013

On 11/04/2013 09:47 PM, Greg Sheremeta wrote:
> I've never seen that happen on any of my installs.
>
> You can grab the drivers at
> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/

I'm trying to help somebody update the Quick Start Guide in the interim
until these items are pre-populated.

But if I go to that link, I see only:
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/virtio-win-0.1-65.iso

In other words, no vfd.

Oddly, there was one there in the past:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110501124422/http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/

Even more oddly, the old one has what looks like a more recent version
number: virtio-win-1.1.16.vfd

Can anybody explain how this has transpired? Where did the old vfd go,
and why are the version numbers going backwards?
Is there an actual vfd in existence today that anybody can safely
download and use engine-iso-uploader with?

There is also this one, which is actually what I wound up using:
https://launchpad.net/kvm-guest-drivers-windows/20120712/20120712/+download/virtio-win-drivers-20120712-1.vfd

Are either of these VFDs safe to use? Is one preferred?

Guidance please?

Thanks,
     Bob