[Users] Fwd: oVirt UI plugins feature announcements

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Mon Nov 11 11:36:37 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Correct, new URI layout takes effect in oVirt 3.4, not sure about RHEV but I think "ovirt-engine" in URI might change there.

> I think it's important to mention this change in oVirt upgrade/release
> notes to let users know that they have to change the UI plugin URI. When
> packaging an UI plugin it's not a problem to check the oVirt version in
> a %post section and run a sed command over the JSON file...

I assume the URI layout change BZ [https://bugzilla.redhat.com/961677] will have some release notes attached.

For UI plugins, I was talking with Alon about this, we could promote the use of relative URIs to make UI plugins unaware of absolute URI layout.

For example, in plugin descriptor:

  "url": "plugin/ExamplePlugin/start.html" // relative to WebAdmin base context path, i.e. /ovirt-engine/webadmin

would result in:

  <iframe src="plugin/ExamplePlugin/start.html">

custom content could be added like this:

  api.addMainTab('Example Tab', 'example-tab', 'plugin/ExamplePlugin/tab.html');

and any content within the iframe (either start.html or tab.html) could use:

  <script src="dir-relative-to-plugin-resources/custom-script.js">
  <link href="dir-relative-to-plugin-resources/custom-stylesheet.css">

I'll verify this and update the UI plugins wiki accordingly. Should have thought about relative URIs in the first place :)

> I also have a question (not related to this topic) too:
> In webadmin I select e.g. a vm and click on Disks webadmin displays disk
> details for this vm. When selecting another vm I can see the disk infos
> for this vm (webadmin keeps me in Disks subtab which is what I would
> expect).
> When I click on Monitoring Details (which is a subtab created by my
> monitoring UI plugin) and I select another vm webadmin doesn't show me
> the content of the ui plugin subtab (Monitoring Details) but instead the
> Disks subtab (always the last clicked non-ui-plugin subtab).
> Didn't test in in oVirt 3.3 yet, only in oVirt 3.2 and RHEV 3.2...
> Is it possible to let subtabs created by ui pugins behave in the same
> way as subtabs provided by webadmin?

Right, this is a known issue with dynamic sub tabs. I've created RFE BZ [https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1028968] to track this issue.

Thanks for your feedback!