[Users] Default route on hosts

Christopher Geddings chris.geddings at duke.edu
Mon Nov 11 18:40:33 UTC 2013

Before I ask my question, I want to make sure I'm using the right terms:
engine == the system that manages the ovirt environment.  Runs the web interface, etc
host(s) == the physical machine(s) the engine uses to deploy virtual machines on.  Sometimes referenced as a node?
vm(s) == the guest systems that are controlled by the engine and run on the hosts, that do the stuff you present to the world at large, whatever your world at large would be.

Is that correct?

In my environment, I have a customer facing network and another network that's on a set of isolated switches.  I desire to use the isolated
network as the management network, and am naming the other network "public" in the web management interface.

In the interface, I see these labeled as ovirtmgmt and public, for the management network (private) and the customer facing network (public).

From what I can tell from poking at the configuration files, and from a couple references in other threads, the 'DEFROUTE' setting in the ifcfg-* files
gets set to 'yes' only for the ovirtmgmt network, not for any other bridged network.

I can override this by hand as I deploy hosts, but am hoping for a way to do so within the ovirt management framework, so I have less bits that can
go wrong.  Is there a way for me to get the DEFROUTE set to no for the ovirtmgmt interface and to yes on the public interface as I deploy hosts?

Is there a reason I'm not seeing for avoiding this behavior?

--Chris