[Users] Default route on hosts

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Tue Nov 12 08:33:33 UTC 2013

Hi Christopher,

Your understanding of the terms is correct.
A small clarification - Hosts are mostly referred to as nodes when running oVirt Node, a custom Linux distribution purposely made to be used as a host in oVirt.

As for your question:
DEFROUTE=yes/no in the hosts' ifcfg files control the default gateway of the host. Currently, by design, the management network's gateway (Which sounds like
your management network doesn't have?) will be kept as the host's default gateway. This was done to make sure that the engine maintains connectivity to its hosts.

oVirt 3.3 introduced a feature called multiple gateways which may assist you. If you configured a gateway on the public network (Either statically via oVirt
or via DHCP), then all traffic into the hosts through their public network NIC will be returned via that nic, *even though* the host's default gateway is
ovirtmgmt's gateway.

To clarify further: The current behavior is that the host's default gateway is ovirtmgmt's gateway. This controls traffic originating from *within* the host
such as communications with storage. Incoming traffic, however, such as traffic originating from users from outside of the datacenter, will be returned via
the device that the traffic came in on.

If that doesn't work for you, and you feel like you need to control the host's default gateway via oVirt, then please file an RFE. I can't guarantee a timeline
or that it will ultimately make it in the product, but the RFE will be carefully taken into account when designing future versions.