[Users] EL5 support for VirtIO SCSI?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 09:19:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Paul Jansen  wrote:
> Hi Rene.
> I specifically need the scsi support (virtio-scsi).
> I do know about the virtio-block support, which results in /dev/vd* devices
> as you say.
> From what I read even EL6 earlier than 6.3 does not support virtio-scsi
>
> Alternatively, does oVirt support an emulated scsi adapter of a different
> type that would allow me to see scsi disks?
>
> Regards,
> Paul

Hello Paul,
in 6.3  virtio-scsi was only a TechPreview.
>From 6.4 it is fully supported.
I found also support in Win  guests (> WinXP) with RHEV and updated
virtio-win drivers, but nothing abut rhel 5.x guests, neither 5.10...

If you have RH EL subscription you can find more details here:
https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/300563
(I took the time to put a note asking about support in RH EL 5.x)
It could be a good idea to create an rfe entry in bugzilla if you have
entitlements.
I don't know if there is any particular limitation or special
backporting effort to gain virtio-scsi support in RHEL 5.x, but
through my quick search I didn't find any reference in special repos
such as CentOS extra er plus or elrepo....

I think you already saw here, but just for other ones eventually:
http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Virtio-SCSI