[Users] EL5 support for VirtIO SCSI?

Paul Jansen vlaero at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 14 14:09:13 UTC 2013

Hello Stefan.
Thanks.  I understand qemu supports other scsi adapters however.  See this post from earlier this year.
That post makes reference to the following hbas: auto, buslogic, ibmvscsi. lsilogic, lsisas1068, lsisas1078, virtio-scsi, vmpvscsi.
The post is referring to libvirt, so the number of adapters may be related to the various virtualization backends that libvirt can interface with.

There are numerous references to qemu/qemu-kvm supporting other scsi adapters as well as AHCI SATA.  I installed the Centos 6.4 based node, so perhaps the Fedora 19 based node has a newer qemu that supports more of these features?  I might see if I can do an install of the Fedora 19 based node tomorrow.

Ayal mentioned using 'hooks' to interface with qemu to possibly create a VM outside of the definitions that Ovirt allows.  If I am understanding this correctly - how do I do this?  Am I to expect some interface inconsistencies in the ovirt portal I I view a 'custom' VM like this?

So, in short - is there the potential for me to create a VM in ovirt that has a SCSI/SAS/SATA HBA and attach disk(s) to it (other than the virtio-scsi HBA which is not supported under EL5)?

On Thursday, 14 November 2013 11:22 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha at redhat.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 02:39:33AM -0500, Ayal Baron wrote:
> [...]

The only supported emulated SCSI HBA device is virtio-scsi.  It was Tech
Preview in RHEL 6.3 and became fully supported in RHEL 6.4.  virtio-scsi
is not available in RHEL 5.

Stefan