[Users] EL5 support for VirtIO SCSI?

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 08:30:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 06:09:13AM -0800, Paul Jansen wrote:
> Thanks.  I understand qemu supports other scsi adapters however.  See this post from earlier this year.
> That post makes reference to the following hbas: auto, buslogic, ibmvscsi. lsilogic, lsisas1068, lsisas1078, virtio-scsi, vmpvscsi.

>From an upstream QEMU perspective, the HBAs that ought to work on x86_64
guests are virtio-scsi, lsisas1078, and vmpvscsi.

The lsilogic adapter is known to be buggy/incomplete.  ibmvscsi is for
POWER, not x86_64.

That said, I'd still only rely on virtio-scsi for production systems.
I am confident there is development effort behind virtio-scsi to fix
bugs and so on.  With the other adapters it's more of a best-effort
scenario.

Stefan