[Users] from irc

Einav Cohen ecohen at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 14:28:55 UTC 2013

Hi Bob,

unless something dramatic has changed lately in this feature's
implementation: AFAIK, the Pool doesn't clone VMs from a Template on
demand; the Pool VMs are provisioned in advance (upon Pool creation),
which allows, of course, the admin to access them, launch them, prepare
them for usage, etc, as Itamar explained.

> 2. My understanding of "sealing" a system is that this depersonalizes it
> - e.g. removes hostname, prepares network for reinitialization, etc. And
> that the next time the system boots up it re-personalizes. So if one
> were to restart it, even as admin, this would reverse the sealing
> process, which would seem to make sealing in the first place pointless.
>
> What am I missing? At the moment I don't see the point of sealing a VM
> before putting it into the Pool (assuming you're using DHCP, anyway).
> What happens if you don't?

there is a difference between the way that an admin runs the VM and the
way that a user runs the VM (by allocating himself a VM from the pool
via his user portal): The admin typically runs the VM like any "regular"
VM, i.e., not in a "stateless" mode, which ensures that all changes
done on the guest will be persisted for the VMs next run.
This is necessary for the initial OS installation of the VM, for example,
initial configuration, application installation, etc.

When the user runs the VM (again - by allocating himself a VM from the
pool via the user portal), the VM actually runs in a stateless mode:
right before the VM is run, a snapshot is taken from it; once the VM is
being shutdown/returned to the pool, the VM reverts itself to that
snapshot, clearing all changes done in this run (but not changes that
the admin did in the initial run! those are "sealed" within the VM),
leaving the VM and ready for the next allocation.