[Users] EL5 support for VirtIO SCSI?

Paul Jansen vlaero at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 16 03:40:31 UTC 2013

Hi Paolo.
I think this would be quite a useful patch.
The two benefits as far as I can see would be:
(1) smoother importing of VMs from Vmware/vsphere/vcenter into hypervisors that make use of libvirt. The VM definition would not need to change the scsi adapter property.
(2) potentially allow using the vmware pvscsi controller in ovirt.  In my particular use case this should allow EL5 guests to be used (and have a supported scsi controller once 'open-vm-tools' is installed) in Ovirt.  Ovviously we'd want to steer people into using virtio-scsi wherever possible though, as has been discussed previously.

Please let us know on list if you do get to this.
Thanks for your efforts,
Paul

On Friday, 15 November 2013 8:50 PM, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini at redhat.com> wrote:

Il 15/11/2013 09:30, Stefan Hajnoczi ha scritto:

>> > Thanks.  I understand qemu supports other scsi adapters however.  See this post from earlier this year.
>> > That post makes reference to the following hbas: auto, buslogic, ibmvscsi. lsilogic, lsisas1068, lsisas1078, virtio-scsi, vmpvscsi.
> From an upstream QEMU perspective, the HBAs that ought to work on x86_64
> guests are virtio-scsi, lsisas1078, and vmpvscsi.

I think vmpvscsi is not supported for QEMU in libvirt.  It would be a
very simple patch, I may get round to it before Christmas...

Paolo