[Users] oVirt and SAS shared storage??

Ryan Barry phresus at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 14:22:34 UTC 2013

> unfortunally, I didn't got a reply for my question. So.. let's try again.
>
> Does oVirt supports SAS shared storages (p. e. MSA2000sa) as storage
> domain?
> If yes.. what kind of storage domain I've to choose at setup time?
>
> SAS is a bus which implements the SCSI protocol in a point-to-point
fashion. The array you have is the effective equivalent of attaching
additional hard drives directly to your computer.

It is not necessarily faster than iSCSI or Fiber Channel; almost any
nearline storage these days will be SAS, almost all the SANs in production,
and most of the tiered storage as well (because SAS supports SATA drives).
I'm not even sure if NetApp uses FC-AL drives in their arrays anymore. I
think they're all SAS, but don't quote me on that.

What differentiates a SAN (iSCSI or Fiber Channel) from a NAS is that a SAN
presents raw devices over a fabric or switched medium rather than
point-to-point (point-to-point Fiber Channel still happens, but it's easier
to assume that it doesn't for the sake of argument). A NAS presents network
file systems (CIFS, GlusterFS, Lustre, NFS, Ceph, whatever), though this
also gets complicated when you start talking about distributed clustered
network file systems.

Anyway, what you have is neither of these. It's directly-attached storage.
It may work, but it's an unsupported configuration, and is only shared
storage in the sense that it has multiple controllers. If I were going to
configure it for oVirt, I would:

Attach it to a 3rd server and export iSCSI LUNs from it
Attach it to a 3rd server and export NFS from it
Attach it to multiple CentOS/Fedora servers, configure clustering (so you
get fencing, a DLM, and the other requisites of a clustered filesystem),
and use raw cLVM block devices or GFS2/OCFS filesystems as POSIXFS storage
for oVirt.

Thank you for your help

> Hans-Joachim

Hans