[Users] Live migration

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Nov 28 09:40:54 UTC 2013

On 11/27/2013 03:59 PM, Neil Schulz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are in the process of testing oVirt and replacing citrix all together.
>
> A few things we are curious about but can't find any concrete
> information on:
>
> Can oVirt live migrate data (VM's, etc.) to another machine in the
> pool/cluster in the event of a hardware failure, if the data is stored
> locally on the machine? For this to be possible, does it have to be on a
> shared storage?

not yet. live storage migration is currently only supported between
storage domains in same storage pool (data center) where the host see
both domains.

we are working to remove the limitations in the pool design, which will
allow this in a future version.

oVirt supports managing VMs in host local storage, but the more powerful
features are around clusters of hosts using shared storage.

shared storage these days can benefit from multiple hosts local storage,
via technologies like gluster, though at this point i think most run the
storage nodes separatly from the virtualization hosts.

NFS shared storage seems to be the easiest, iscsi, FC and posixfs are
also supported.

HTH,
   Itamar