[Users] Upgrade from 3.1

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Oct 1 15:48:28 UTC 2013

On 10/01/2013 06:39 PM, Christian Kolquist wrote:
> We have a NFS storage cluster (Isilon) for the domain.
>
> The main question: is there a way to bring in an existing storage domain
> to a new engine without exporting it then importing it?  This would be
> good for not just upgrades but also disaster recovery as well.

yes, importing an existing data domain is a high priority for us for
next version as the issue was raised several times by community users.

for 3.3, there a few options (the first one is the cleanest)
1. "save the export part"
- stop using the domain in 3.1
- change its meta data to that of an export domain
- import it as an existing export domain to 3.3
- import the VMs

2. "re-create the VMs / import disks"
- stop using the domain in 3.1
- create a new (empty) domain in 3.3
- move all disks to the new domain (assuming you create the new nfs
   export in a way allowing you to move, not copy, from the old export)
- use the register disk api to add all disks
- create VMs and associate the disks to them

yes, this one requires to document first which disk is for which VM.
i think someone scripted something around this option.

if your disks have snapshots, this may become too complex.

3. re-create the VMs and override their disks.
this was suggested several times in the past, but if you have snapshots,
not relevant.