[Users] Recommended OS for stability and centralized NFS storage?

David Sloane dsloane at sitespect.com
Mon Oct 14 15:36:55 UTC 2013

I've had some challenges getting oVirt running without errors on CentOS 6.4 64-bit, and some NIC-driver-loading problems with the Fedora build of the oVirt node (ovirt-node-iso-3.0.1-1.0.2.vdsm.fc19 vs. igb driver + Intel I340-T4).

I'm trying to find the right balance of stability and hardware support.  I mentioned NFS in the title because I don't need GlusterFS features.

The CentOS-compatible repository at ovirt.org looks like it's stopped at oVirt 3.0.x, while Fedora and RHEL are supported for 3.3.  In my initial engine and node builds, I tried mixing FC, RH and Cent repositories, but that seems like a clearly bad idea, and I'm starting over.

I could probably get CentOS + oVirt 3.0.x running, but I would lose several months of oVirt revisions/features/bug-fixes.  RHEL seems logical, but I don't have the budget for licenses.

Any suggestions?

DS
aka platformagnostic