[Users] Proposal for a fresh look and feel for Ovirt

Malini Rao mrao at redhat.com
Fri Oct 18 19:03:09 UTC 2013

Thanks everyone for an enthusiastic response of the Look and feel proposal to update Ovirt. I am glad that overall the reaction is positive. Here is a summary of what I heard from you all as suggestions for improvement -

Feedback on L&F for Ovirt

- Push back on simplistic icons for communicative value and subjective preference + familiarity with existing
- Too much space for resource graphs ( percentage columns on console screen)
- Colors
---Evaluate the choice of greens in the load bars ( too big and too bright and attention getting for something that is supplementary info), the unselected icons and the green line in masthead.
--- The shades of blue and green don't seem to go very well together - Evaluate for cohesion/ harmony and readability.
- How will the User portal look in the new style?
- On Console, the tabs recede and the toolbar dominates
- Same x is used for remove and cancel migrate  - confusing
- The tabs/ sub tabs now don't look like tabs - It now looks just like text.. Should be recognizable as tabs or Nav items.
- Make sure 1064x768 resolution is not worse than it is today in new design
- Primary info in the grid should stand out and not drown in all the noise.

New ideas/ features ( Not in scope for now)

Sparklines to give us some sense of recent history for each row
Column customization/ column sorting
Reducing bottom pane with details
Better treatment of Events
Low resolution layouts/ usability issues
Responsive design

Please let me know if I misunderstood anything or if I missed anything significant. I will work with the visual designers and incorporate some of these suggestions and present another iteration.

Thanks
Malini