[Users] Users Digest, Vol 25, Issue 120

Ryan Barry phresus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 14:31:32 UTC 2013

On 10/25/2013 04:41 AM, users-request at ovirt.org wrote:

      I haven't looked into this very much, but it sounds promising.
    Anyone on list familiar with it?

It is, in essence, LXC containers combined with an overlay filesystem.
It's basic PaaS with a Go binary ("docker") wrapped around LXC. It's
neat in the same sense as Vagrant -- you can ship a Dockerfile which can
reproduce your environment very easily, and the Docker team itself has
wrapped all the images in a git repository you can easily branch
from/etc. That said, Docker support won't land in Fedora until F20, and
CentOS around the same time (officially).

I'll admit that I don't get the hype around Docker, since it doesn't do
anything that LXC doesn't already do, but the templating and a
user-friendly binary is nice.

    I wonder if there's interest in shipping oVirt docker containers.

I'm interested in Docker to ease the process of building Node images, at
least. oVirt Docker containers would be interesting, assuming LXC
support isn't painful, since the CoreOS (where Docker originated) also
relies on an image with readonly root and overlays on top, so there's
some overlap.