[Users] so, what do you want next in oVirt?

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Thu Sep 5 08:31:57 UTC 2013

Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread again.

On Tue, 2013-08-20 at 17:19 -0400, Itamar Heim wrote:
> earlier in the year we did a survey for feature requests / improvements
> / etc.
>
> since a lot of things were added, and priorities usually change, I'd
> like to ask again for "what do you need the most from oVirt / what are
> your pain points" next?
>
> below[1] I've listed my understanding of what already went in from
> previous survey requests (to various degrees of coverage).
>
> Thanks,
>     Itamar
>
> [1] from the top 12
> V Allow disk resize

Great!

> V Integrate Nagios/Zabbix monitoring - via a ui plugin

Zabbix isn't working yet with my ui plugin (is there maybe another one
which integrates Zabbix?) - but it will be available in a future
release.
Btw, there will be a new version of the monitoring ui plugin with new
features available out at the end of this week...

> V Highly Available engine - via hosted engine[2]
> V Open vSwitch integration - via neutron integration
> X Allow cloning VMs without template

This is definitely one feature I would like to see.

> ? Enable hypervisor upgrade/updates through engine[3]

The next feature I would like to request.

> V Allow engine on an oVirt hosted VM - via hosted engine[2]
> V Enable guest configuration (root password, SSH keys, network) via
>    guest agent in engine - via cloud-init

Cool. Can this be done on oVirt-node as well or only on
CentOS/RHEL/Fedora hosts?

> X Integrate v2v into engine

Vote for this again :)

> ? Bond/extend ovirtmgmt with a second network for HA/increased
>    bandwidth[4]
> X Integrate scheduling of snapshots and VM export for backups in
>    engine[5]
> V Spice – support Google Chrome - via mime based launch

At the moment spice support is really a pain (especially on Windows as
the SpiceX.cab is missing). Great to hear that spice support has
improved and Chrome can be used as well!

> Other items mentioned in previous survey which should be covered by now:
> - Fix timeout when adding local host during all-in-one configuration
> - Fix engine set-up when SELinux is disabled
> - Provide packages for el6 (CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux)
> - Allow multiple VMs to be deployed from the same template at the same
>    time
> - ISO domains on local/GlusterS

ISO and export domains on FC/iSCSI would be good to have as well.

> - Show IP addresses in Virtual Machines->Network Interfaces
> - OpenStack Quantum support (now called Neutron)
> - noVNC support
> - Support spice.html5 and websocket proxy
> - Add other guest OSes to list

Good to hear that other Linux distributions will be added as well.

> - Port oVirt guest agent to Ubuntu[6]
> - SLA - Allow resource time-sharing
> - Spice - Mac client (via mime based launch)
> - Spice - port XPI plug-in to Windows (not sure this will happen, but
>    mime based launch allows using firefox now)
> - Spice - client for Ubuntu/Debian (should be covered via mime based
>    launch)

Additional features I would like to see are:
- oVirt guest agent for Ubuntu/openSUSE/SLES/Debian *

*Ubuntu is already available thanks to Zhou Zheng Sheng

- Resource pools
At the moment only Quotas are available (which is great, btw), but in
some cases it's necessary to implement resource pools. E.g. Limit CPU,
Memory and Network for group of test vms, but give full resources to
production vms. Maybe this could be done with cgroups?
So e.g. I don't want to give a compile machine a full cpu core, but only
1 core with 500MHz or limit the bandwith to e.g. 10Mbit/s.

- Upload ISOs within the GUI to ISO domain

- Use existing share for ISO domain
When creating an ISO domain, oVirt creates it's own directory
structure with IDs. It would be nice if an existing share could be used
(e.g. an ISO share on NFS server which is used by other service, too)
without creating the structure with IDs. I know that the IDs are needed
internally but I think it should be possible to reuse an existing share.

Last but not least I want to thank all contributors of this project for
their great work so far!

Regards,
René