[Users] so, what do you want next in oVirt?

NOC noc at nieuwland.nl
Fri Sep 6 07:46:51 UTC 2013

On 09/06/2013 08:11 AM, Karli Sjöberg wrote:
> What about swap? Don´t they have any swap file, or partition at all?
> Swap-file over NFS must suck quite badly, no? We have bought
> semi-cheap SSD's for our Hosts to use as swap to get more out of them
> from memory overprovisioning.

I don't quite see the point, unless you have mirrored ssd's. Data
corruption on ssd's is more frequent than on spinning disks and
disastrous when it happens in a swapped out page... (And why not add
more RAM?)

But why use swap at all? I'm assuming you dimension a node to its
intended use, so I guess lots of memory and CPU cores (in our case
anyway) and you can allocate the available memory to the VMs until it's
finished. I don't see much need for swap there.

Perhaps my view is different than usual, I see swap as the gravelly
escape roads on steep hills for trucks/cars who have failing breaks. It
just reduces the damage in case of unexpected failures. Swap isn't
something to use on a regular basis as cheep memory, as RAM is not that
expensive anymore and magnitudes faster.

/Simon