[Users] Migrate cluster 3.3 -> 3.4 hosted on existing hosts

Ted Miller tmiller at hcjb.org
Tue Apr 1 19:40:38 UTC 2014

Current setup:

  * 3 identical hosts running on HP GL180 g5 servers
      o gluster running 5 volumes in replica 3
  * engine running on VMWare Server on another computer (that computer is NOT
    available to convert to a host)

Where I want to end up:

  * 3 identical hosted-engine hosts running on HP GL180 g5 servers
      o gluster running 6 volumes in replica 3
          + new volume will be nfs storage for engine VM
  * hosted engine in oVirt VM
  * as few changes to current setup as possible

The two pages I found on the wiki are: Hosted Engine Howto
<http://www.ovirt.org/Hosted_Engine_Howto> and Migrate to Hosted Engine
<http://www.ovirt.org/Migrate_to_Hosted_Engine>.  Both were written during
the testing process, and have not been updated to reflect production status.
I don't know if anything in the process has changed since they were written.

Process outlined in above two pages (as I understand it):

    have nfs file store ready to hold VM

    Do minimal install (not clear if ovirt node, Centos, or Fedora was
    used--I am Centos-based)

    # yum install ovirt-hosted-engine-setup
    # hosted-engine --deploy

    Install OS on VM

    return to host console

    at "Please install the engine in the VM" prompt on host

    on VM console
    # yum install ovirt-engine

    on old engine:
    service ovirt-engine stop
    chkconfig ovirt-engine off

    set up dns for new engine

    # engine-backup --mode=backup --file=backup1 --log=backup1.log
    scp backup file to new engine VM

    on new VM:
    # engine-backup --mode=restore --file=backup1 --log=backup1-restore.log
    --change-db-credentials --db-host=didi-lap --db-user=engine --db-password
    --db-name=engine
    # engine-setup

    on host:
    run script until: "The system will wait until the VM is down."

    on new VM:
    # reboot

    on Host: finish script

My questions:

1. Is the above still the recommended way to do a hosted-engine install?

2. Will it blow up at me if I use my existing host (with glusterfs all set
up, etc) as the starting point, instead of a clean install?

Thank you for letting me benefit from your experience,
Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA