[Users] node spin including qemu-kvm-rhev?

Paul Jansen vlaero at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 7 12:25:19 UTC 2014

On 04/07/2014 11:46 AM, Fabian Deutsch wrote:

> Hey Paul,
>
> Am Montag, den 07.04.2014, 01:28 -0700 schrieb Paul Jansen:
>> I'm going to try top posting this time to see if it ends up looking a
>> bit better on the list.
>
> you could try sending text-only emails :)
>
>> By the 'ovirt hypervisor packages' I meant installing the OS first of
>> all and then making it into an ovirt 'node' by installing the required
>> packages, rather than installing from a clean slate with the ovirt
>> node iso.  Sorry if that was a bit unclear.
>
> Okay - thanks for the explanation.
> In general I would discourage from installing the ovirt-node package ona
> normal host.
> If you still want to try it be aware that the ovirt-node pkg might mess
> with your system.

I'm pretty sure we are on the same page here.  I just checked the ovirt 'quickstart' page and it calls the various hypervisor nodes 'hosts'.
ie: Fedora host, EL, host, ovirt node host.
If the ovirt node included the qemu-kvm-rhev package - or an updated qemu-kvm - it would mean that both ovirt node hosts and fedora hosts could both support live storage migration.  It would only be EL hosts that do not support that feature at this stage.  We could have a caveat in the documentation for this perhaps.
Fabian, were you think thinking that if not all 'hosts' supported live migration that the cluster could disable that feature? Based on capabilities that the hosts would expose to the ovirt server?  This would be another way of avoiding the confusion.

Thanks guys for the great work you are doing with ovirt.