[Users] how do you connect to a host's serial console

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Mon Apr 7 14:31:11 UTC 2014

On Apr 7, 2014, at 16:23 , Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah at goodinassociates.com> wrote:

> thx, So dumb question at this point. I'm in the process of moving from
> virt-manager to ovirt.  virsh has an edit domain function, or I can
> edit the xml by hand. I'm able to locate the xml on the host, but
> obviously if I edit it by hand it will be replaced by vdsm. I'm having
> a hell of a time trying to find the xml on the engine, so that I can
> try modifying the xml to add a serial console.  Based on that code
> that's all that's really going on with that patch. So I'd think I can
> wing it by modifying the db or xml directly.  Just not sure where to
> go to do so.  I'm guessing I could go into vm_device and replace
> device='virtio-serial' with 'serial'  but that seems to easy. Any
> pointers you've got on how the xml is stored or produced would be
> great.

It's a bit more complicated than that….there's no XML stored in the backend. You'd be better off applying the patch over and compile yourself:)
The supported way of how to amend the libvirt XML is via VDSM hooks. You need to intercept the created XML and add whatever is needed, see http://www.ovirt.org/VDSM-Hooks, some of the examples can be used as a base for what you're trying to do...

Thanks,
michal