[Users] Post-Install Engine VM Changes Feasible?

Andrew Lau andrew at andrewklau.com
Tue Apr 8 10:52:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> LANs, if for no other reason than because I want to send backups directly over the storage VLAN.
>>
>> I'll cut to it:  I believe I could successfully alter the vdsm template (vm.conf.in <http://vm.conf.in>) to give me the extra interfaces I require.
>> It hit me, however, that I could just take the defaults for the initial install.  Later, I think I'll be able to come back with virsh and make my
>> changes to the gracefully disabled VM.  Is this true?
>>
>> [1] http://www.andrewklau.com/ovirt-hosted-engine-with-3-4-0-nightly/
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joshua
>>

>> I started from the same reference[1] and ended up "statically" modifying vm.conf.in before launching setup, like this:
>>
>> cp -a /usr/share/ovirt-hosted-engine-setup/templates/vm.conf.in /usr/share/ovirt-hosted-engine-setup/templates/vm.conf.in.orig
>> cat << EOM > /usr/share/ovirt-hosted-engine-setup/templates/vm.conf.in
>> vmId=@VM_UUID@
>> memSize=@MEM_SIZE@
>> display=@CONSOLE_TYPE@
>> devices={index:2,iface:ide,address:{ controller:0, target:0,unit:0, bus:1,
>> type:drive},specParams:{},readonly:true,deviceId:@CDROM_UUID@,path:@CDROM@,device:cdrom,shared:false,type:disk at BOOT_CDROM@}
>> devices={index:0,iface:virtio,format:raw,poolID:@SP_UUID@,volumeID:@VOL_UUID@,imageID:@IMG_UUID@,specParams:{},readonly:false,domainID:@SD_UUID@,optional:false,deviceId:@IMG_UUID@,address:{bus:0x00,
>> slot:0x06, domain:0x0000, type:pci, function:0x0},device:disk,shared:exclusive,propagateErrors:off,type:disk at BOOT_DISK@}
>> devices={device:scsi,model:virtio-scsi,type:controller}
>> devices={index:4,nicModel:pv,macAddr:@MAC_ADDR@,linkActive:true,network:@BRIDGE@,filter:vdsm-no-mac-spoofing,specParams:{},deviceId:@NIC_UUID@,address:{bus:0x00,
>> slot:0x03, domain:0x0000, type:pci, function:0x0},device:bridge,type:interface at BOOT_PXE@}
>> devices={index:8,nicModel:pv,macAddr:02:16:3e:4f:c4:b0,linkActive:true,network:lan,filter:vdsm-no-mac-spoofing,specParams:{},address:{bus:0x00,
>> slot:0x09, domain:0x0000, type:pci, function:0x0},device:bridge,type:interface at BOOT_PXE@}
>> devices={device:console,specParams:{},type:console,deviceId:@CONSOLE_UUID@,alias:console0}
>> vmName=@NAME@
>> spiceSecureChannels=smain,sdisplay,sinputs,scursor,splayback,srecord,ssmartcard,susbredir
>> smp=@VCPUS@
>> cpuType=@CPU_TYPE@
>> emulatedMachine=@EMULATED_MACHINE@
>> EOM
>

> Note that you should also be able to edit /etc/ovirt-hosted-engine/vm.conf after setup:
> - put the system in global maintenance
> - edit the vm.conf file on all the hosts running the hosted engine
> - shutdown the vm: hosted-engine --vm-shutdown
> - start again the vm: hosted-engine --vm-start
> - exit global maintenance
>
> Giuseppe, Joshua: can you share your changes in a guide for Hosted engine users on ovirt.org wiki?

So would you simply just add a new line under the original devices line? ie.
devices={nicModel:pv,macAddr:00:16:3e:6d:34:78,linkActive:true,network:ovirtmgmt,filter:vdsm-no-mac-spoofing,specParams:{},deviceId:0c8a1710-casd-407a-94e8-5b09e55fa141,address:{bus:0x00,
slot:0x03, domain:0x0000, type:pci,
function:0x0},device:bridge,type:interface}

Are there any good practices for getting the mac addr so it won't be
possible to clash with ones vdsm would generate? I assume the same
applies for deviceid?
Did you also change the slot?