[ovirt-users] [Engine-devel] ui plugin problems, cannot read from a file.

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Fri Apr 18 14:20:26 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

> hey, am trying to display the contents of a text file in a java
> applet as a ui plugin in ovirt.

> The same applet performs successfully when run as a standalone, but
> fails to deliver when the it is run through ovirt.

UI plugins are written in JavaScript and HTML. UI plugin is technically
standalone web application sandboxed within invisible <iframe> element
under WebAdmin's DOM. UI plugin uses API to extend existing WebAdmin
functionality through custom UI components (main tab, dialog, etc).

Java applet technology cannot be used to implement UI plugin because
plugin vs. WebAdmin integration happens on JavaScript/HTML level.

I suggest to check out samples-uiplugins git repo for examples:

  http://www.ovirt.org/Features/UIPlugins#Sample_UI_plugins

If you really want to write UI plugin in Java language, you can use
GWT (as suggested by Greg) which yields JavaScript/HTML output.

In general, any technology/language that ultimately yields JavaScript
code can be used to implement UI plugin.

> isn't one of the points of a uiplugin it doesn't have to be GWT based
> (as its not going to be part of the codebase)?

In fact, UI plugins can be written in GWT, if desired. However, as
you mentioned, plugins are decoupled from WebAdmin code base through
the plugin infra/subsystem.

Regards,
Vojtech