[ovirt-users] oVirt Networking query

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 20:11:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 09:43:06PM +0000, Rudrajit Tapadar (rtapadar) wrote:
> Hi Lior,
>
> Thanks for your response. I¹ll surely take a look at the configurator.
>
> I have used macvtap in passthru mode on a eth to sniff all packets from
> all vlans. Hence I was wondering if this is supported in oVirt.
>
> -Rudrajit
>
> On 4/18/14, 1:56 PM, "Lior Vernia" <lvernia at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Rudrajit,
> >
> >Welcome, I hope you'll like it! See comments inline.
> >
> >On 18/04/14 21:53, Rudrajit Tapadar (rtapadar) wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> I am a newbie to ovirt and I had a couple of questions and I was hoping
> >> I could get some help.
> >>
> >>  1. Does ovirt support openvswitch without going through Neutron? So far
> >>     all the documents that I came across uses Neutron as an external
> >>     network provider.
> >
> >At the moment it doesn't. However, this has been talked about and will
> >probably be implemented at some point (though not sure when).
> >
> >In fact, if you're a developer, you could help make it happen yourself!
> >A lot of the necessary "nfrastructure has been recently laid down by
> >this feature, which would only require someone to implement an OVS
> >"configurator":
> >
> >http://www.ovirt.org/Feature/NetworkReloaded

Non-developers are advised to use Vdsm hooks. You should start by
defining whatever network libvirt supports on each of your hosts. This
includes openvswitch (e.g.
http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#elementVlanTag ).

Then, install the "extnet" hook on each of your hosts and define a vNIC
profile in oVirt-Engine with the "extnet" custom propery linking to your
openvswitch network. vNICs configures with the new profile would be
connected to openvswitch.

Similarly, if you define your libvirt network and a pool of host
devices (e.g. http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#examplesDirect ) the
extnet hook would let you use macvtap.

I'd be happy to hear if it works for you, and to assist if it does not.