[ovirt-users] Lowering cluster CPU level : safe?

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Mon Aug 4 13:06:59 UTC 2014

Le 03/08/2014 21:45, Itamar Heim a écrit :

> (assuming not relevant, but for next person googling...)

Clever attitude. Thanks.

> live migration of VMs may fail / misbehave in such a case. we do not
> currently check the original cpu level to compare it during live migration.

Strange, because here is what I noticed :
- Eventually, I lowered the cluster CPU level from SandyBridge to Westmere
- I tried to migrate the VMs that were still running since the
sandybridge time. When destination choosing the sandybridge hosts, it
worked.
When choosing the westmere hosts, it failed.
- I had to shutdown the VMs, then bring them back. Since then, I can
migrate them anywhere.

To me this looks perfectly clear and sound - this deals with available
CPU features (and instructions passthrough I guess).

--
Nicolas Ecarnot