[ovirt-users] Is there a plan to allow VM migration?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Aug 6 14:46:15 UTC 2014

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, John Gardeniers wrote:

> Could it be that you're over-thinking this? Why can't Ovirt simply
> export VMs to a standard format, preferably of course one already used
> elsewhere, such as ovf? That way it's a straight one-to-one.

Life is not so neat

not a thought experiment here, but rather a summary of real
life, in practice issues hit in working toward a generally
applicable, FOSS based solution

The testing grid, to make it interesting is to be able to
gobble in and use [examples still in production for ome
reason or another]:
	RHL 5.2
	RHL 7.2
	Windows 95
	Windows NT 3.51
	Windows 2000
	Windows XP
--- all above this line are legacy and out of support -- we
know this, but our customers are indifferent to such, so long
as it does not 'see' the internet at large --

	RHEL / CentOS 5 (Xen hooks)
	RHEL / CentOS 6 (KVM hooks, with grub)
	RHEL / CentOS 6 (KVM hooks, with grub2)
	assorted Fedora
	assorted (but largely recent) Ubuntu
	Assorted Debian Testing and Stable
	OpenBSD -- various
	NetBSD -- various

We have automation for parts, but not all of that grid

-- Russ herrold