[ovirt-users] Backup solution using the API

Blaster Blaster at 556nato.com
Wed Dec 10 18:06:58 UTC 2014

On 11/27/2014 9:12 AM, Keppler, Thomas (PEBA) wrote:

> Now, before I go into any more hassle, has somebody else of you done a
> live-backup solution for oVirt? Are there any recommendations? Thanks
> for any help provided!

I've been looking for a similar scheme for the last year.  It was not
(really) possible in the past as there wasn't any way to destroy a
snapshot w/o shutting down the VM.   Is this still the case, or are snap
shots fully implemented now?

Basically, I'd like to:
Tell VM to flush it's buffers
suspend VM
take snap shot of boot virtual disk
resume VM
backup the virtual boot disk from the Hypervisor using standard commands
(tar, cp, whatever)
destroy the snapshot

This would at least give some BMR capabilities of your VMs.

Ideally, I'd also like to be able to create a snapshot from within the
VM, do a yum update, see if I like it or not, if I do, then destroy the
snap shot.  If I don't, I want to promote the snapshot and boot from
that, then destroy the "original".
(Yes, I know, BTRFS is supposed to be the solution to this with in the
VM at some point, isn't it?)

I have looked at the oVirt backup API wiki, but the code examples look
more like pseudo code than real world examples.