[ovirt-users] spice & thin clients for VDI

Jorick Astrego j.astrego at netbulae.eu
Thu Dec 11 10:03:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

We've been talking to a lot of thin client hardware vendors in the last
weeks. And the general trend I see that when we talk about RHEV/oVirt
support, most have advised against using spice for VDI due to high
network usage and spotty performance.

One of them is willing to have his engineers to look at it again but he
want's to know if there have been any performance improvements since
RHEV 3.1. They looked at it then and found it not to be a viable option
for VDI.

Information about spice is pretty hard to find and I don't feel like
trawling through the spice-devel mailinglist archives today.

And I see this on the wiki as still to do:

      This page includes a lot of features spice could use. It's an
      accumulation of both meetings and over the years added ideas. It
      is a jumbled mess. The feature pages are also not all that up to
      date. On the bright side, it can all be fixed - if you are in
      charge of a feature please try to update it! if you know something
      has been updated in code please fix it here!

      Ideas

        Performance

      * Protocol changes / optimizations
        <http://www.spice-space.org/page/ProtocolChanges>
      * Improving performance <http://www.spice-space.org/page/EnhancePerf>
      * Faster compression
        <http://www.spice-space.org/page/Features/Faster_compression>
      * Bandwidth monitoring
        <http://www.spice-space.org/page/Features/Bandwidth_monitoring>
      * advanced caching (proxy cache & persistent cache)
      * encoded audio/video pass-through
        <http://www.spice-space.org/page/Features/CodecPassthrough> (marc)
      * redirect media streams to by-pass VDI server
        <http://www.spice-space.org/page/Features/MediaRedirection> (fedor)

Is anyone using spice & thin clients + ovirt for VDI and what are the
experiences? Or does someone have some recent info about improvements
being implemented in the spice code?

Kind regards,

Jorick Astrego

Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards,

Jorick Astrego

Netbulae Virtualization Experts

	Tel: 053 20 30 270 	info at netbulae.eu 	Staalsteden 4-3A 	KvK 08198180
 	Fax: 053 20 30 271 	www.netbulae.eu 	7547 TA Enschede 	BTW NL821234584B01