[ovirt-users] Can and How to move a VM from VMware to oVirt

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 17:24:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 08:01:03AM -0500, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 12/09/2014 04:59 AM, zhangjian2011 wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I want to move a windows VM(managed by VMware Player in Windows7 host)
> >to oVirt, can and how can i do it?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> virt-v2v in general. the new version should support pointing to a
> file, so no need for an ESX server. it outputs the results into the
> ovirt export domain, then you can import it.
> very active work (patches in gerrit) to make this available from the
> GUI for 3.6.

Exactly as Itamar says.

(1) Export it to an OVA file.

(2) You will need RHEL or CentOS 7.0 (even a VM), and then to follow
the instructions here:

  http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v.1.html#resource-requirements
  https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2014-May/msg00090.html

(3) Run virt-v2v by following these instructions:

  http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v.1.html#output-to-rhev

  $ virt-v2v -i ova /path/to/your.ova -o rhev -os server:/esd

(4) Coming soon: point and click import via the GUI.

Rich.