[ovirt-users] Backup solution using the API

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 09:31:09 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

You don't need to suspend the vm, qemu can create live snapshot. When the
snapshot is done, you don't care about future io, it will simply not
included in the backup.

> backup the virtual boot disk from the Hypervisor using standard commands
> (tar, cp, whatever)

You can by attaching the snapshot to another vm

> destroy the snapshot

You can in ovirt 3.5.1 - we do not depend any more on future libvirt features.
Adam, can you confirm?

> This would at least give some BMR capabilities of your VMs.
>
> Ideally, I'd also like to be able to create a snapshot from within the VM, do

You can do this "within" the vm by using the engine REST API. But this can
be fragile - for example, if the vm pauses, your backup tool within the vm
will never complete :-)

> a yum update, see if I like it or not, if I do, then destroy the snap shot.

Possible in 3.5.1 using REST API

> If I don't, I want to promote the snapshot and boot from that, then destroy
> the "original".

Same

Nir